Born in Belgium (Kortrijk) on 27/12/1958
Carl de Keyzer started his career as a freelance photographer in 1982 while supporting himself as a photography instructor at the Royal Academy of Fine Arts in Ghent, Belgium. At the same time, his interest in the work of other photographers led him to co-found and co-direct the XYZ-Photography Gallery. A Magnum nominee in 1990, he became a full member in 1994.
De Keyzer likes to tackle large-scale projects and general themes. A basic premise in much of his work is that, in overpopulated communities everywhere, disaster has already struck and infrastructures are on the verge of collapse. His style is not dependent on isolated images; instead, he prefers an accumulation of images which interact with text (often taken from his own travel diaries). In a series of large-scale tableaux, he has covered India, the collapse of the Soviet Union and – more recently – modern-day power and politics.
- Photography teacher at the Royal Academy of Fine Arts in Ghent / Belgium between 1982-1989.
- Co-founder and co-director of the photo-gallery “XYZ -Photography” (1982-1989).
- Free-lance photographer since 1982.
- Teacher at the Higher Institute of Arts in Antwerp -Belgium in 1995
- Teacher at L’école des Arts Décoratifs in Paris -France 2002
- Nominee of the MAGNUM photo agency in 1990.
- Member of the MAGNUM photo agency in 1994.
- Vice-president of MAGNUM in 2003 and 2004
- Teacher at the Royal Academy of Fine Arts in Ghent / Belgium 2009-2013
- Member of the Royal Academy for Arts and Sciences – Brussels 2012
Address: Gate Village, Bldg 02
P.O.BOX: 506697, DIFC Dubai, UAE
Tel: +971 4 323 1210
Fax: +971 4 323 1524